Skip to main content

A Gentle Thunder





The following excerpts from the book, A Gentle Thunder, by Max Lucado really touched me:

“[This is what Jesus said about death:] “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust in me. There are many rooms in my Father’s house; I would not tell you this if it were not true. I am going there to prepare a place for you. After I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me so that you may be where I am.” (John 14:1-4)

What kind of statement is that? Trust me with your death. When you face the tomb, don’t be troubled—trust me! You get the impression that to God the grave is a no-brainer. He speaks as casually as the mechanic who says to a worried client, “Sure, the engine needs an overhaul, but don’t worry. I can do it.” For us it’s an ordeal. For him it’s no big deal. . . For God, death is no tragedy. In God’s economy, the termination of the body is the beginning of life . . . By calling us home, God is doing what any father would do. He is providing a better place to rest. A place he has “prepared for us.”

Heaven is not mass-produced; it is tailor made. . . The problem with this world is that it doesn’t fit. Oh, it will do for now, but it isn’t tailor made. We were made to live with God, but on earth we live by faith. We were made to live forever, but on this earth we live but for a moment. We were made to live holy lives, but this world is stained by sin. This world wears like a borrowed shirt. Heaven, however, will fit like one tailor-made.

By the way, I’ve often thought it curious how few people Jesus raised from the dead. He healed hundreds and fed thousands, but as far as we know he only raised three: the daughter of Jairus, the boy near Nain, and Lazarus. Why so few? Could it be because he knew he’d be doing them no favors? Could it be because he couldn’t get any volunteers? Could it be that once someone is there, the last place they want to return to is here?

We must trust God. We must trust not only that he does what is best but that he knows what is ahead. Ponder these words of Isaiah 57:1-2: “The good men perish; the godly die before their time and no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to realize that God is taking them away from the evil days ahead. For the godly who die shall rest in peace.”

My, what a thought. God is taking them away from the evil days ahead. Could death be God’s grace? Could the funeral wreath be God’s safety ring? Why does an eight-year-old die of cancer? Why is a young mother taken from her children? As horrible as the grave may be, could it be God’s protection from the future? Trust in God, Jesus urges, and trust in me.” 


One more thought. "God is too good to be unkind. He is too wise to be confused. If I cannot trace His hand, I can always trust His heart." C. H. Spurgeon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile

Smile I rushed out the door into the world. Anything could happen. I may get in a car accident. I may trip and break my leg. They might not have everything I need at the store. They might not have toilet paper! I may get corona virus! I was going outside of my bubble into the scary world. I was going to the grocery store. It is not my favorite thing to do anyway but I used to enjoy it more because there were other humans there to talk to and to smile at. Now I am not so sure. Now all I see is masked men and women and children. It is not a happy sight. I may see someone I know and not recognize them. Everyone just looks so impersonal. It seems like another world where you can not recognize any one. I miss going out in public and seeing people’s expressions and smiles. I miss talking even small talk in the grocery isles. I miss the joy of seeing someone I know and getting a chance to chat and catch up on our families, children, grandchildren, parents, friends, while we stand in fron

Stuck at Home? What’s a Mother to do?

We have been dependent on so many things. Even Home-schoolers are not used to being at home to do school. We’ re often depende nt on co-ops to teach our children. We drive them around and get others to teach them instead of teaching them at home. C o-ops come in all shapes and sizes. They are a great option and a blessing. They provide friends, tutors for subjects we don’t feel as confident in . T hey give us a sense of community. We are also dependent on various other groups such as sports, dance, mock trial, b ible studies etc. None of these are bad things in and of themselves, but maybe we have looked to these too much and became so crazy busy that we did not have time to rest and be quiet before the Lord . And now f or many of us if not most, in our town, state, country and around the world, we are suddenly sheltering at home because of the covid19 pandemic that has hit the world. W e find ourselves alone at home with our children and spouse for an indefinite a

Josiah Nathan

June 14, 2014~ For Josiah 26 years ago today God blessed us with another boy. Josiah Nathan I can say, You continue to bring us joy. Precious mem'ries are here to stay. Forgetting times you did annoy. Your laughter, spunk and fun at play, When you were young was your employ. Learning the Word and how to pray Taught to believe and to enjoy. Salvation is real not here-say Delight in Jesus, He's your joy. The Word of God does not decay, It is your sword, it's your deploy. So hide it in your heart to stay, Where storms of life can not destroy. Not on my knee, but I still pray. For God to keep you from decoy. Keep walking in the narrow way, With God your Father, your His boy. Love, Mom